- When United Teachers of Dade “Sold Out” (again) Public Education, Florida’s Teaching Force and Children by Endorsing Race to the Top, Ushering in SB736
- VOTE NO and PROTEST WITH US TO VOTE NO (report count here http://tinyurl.com/2017utd )
- Two Irresponsible End Of World Predictions: Richard Branson’s “Global Warming ‘Hurricanes Are The Start Of Things To Come’”…Right Up There With Meade’s “Earth Will Be Destroyed Saturday By Planet Nibiru”
- MDCPS Owes Each Teacher, On Average, $3000 Per Year Since 2014…And This Will Continue Until Corrected
- While MDCPS Says “No Money” For Salaries, It Diverts $127 Million in Salary Money to Construction (While UTD Parrots the Lies to Gullible Members)
- David Rodriguez on Beightol Family Stories
- Anonymous on Does the Management Manipulated Organization Posing as a Labor Union Dismantling Union Contracts Dating Back 50 years, Undermining Union Collective Bargaining, and Unraveling the Essence of Public Education Signify that the School Board/Administration Itself Has Been Compromised by Anti-Public Education Proponents Posing as Educational Reformers?
- brendonroy on Recent Salary Proposal from UTD and MDCPS is Illegal and is Set to Defraud You of Your Statutorily Established Step System.
- jackie on Annual Contracts Teachers: Vote this down and MDCPS MUST Comply & Give $7512 Bonuses. PSC’s: Vote This Contract Down and Save Your Lifetime Earnings and Keep Your Pension at the Level You Hired on For!
- Loretta Tennant on Educational Marshmallow/Sarah Palin Double and Twice Narcotics Arrested Thug Named President and Vice President of United Teachers of Dade
Category Archives: Older Writings
When I first came into the science classroom, we played at science…students had some experience with magnets, with fishing (outdoors), with aquatic safety (kayaking, jet skiing, surfing), with taking apart machines (electronics, bicycles, cars)…now we take tests Continue reading
Teacher Agrees with Annie Murphy Paul’s “In Praise of Tinkering”: The Affect of the Decline in Real World Experiences on Student Achievement
Many recent studies are being published now that echo what good teachers have intuitively sensed – children don’t study. Perhaps they never did (to the extent that teachers wanted). But the activities that displace studying now are VIRTUAL, digital, software.
These are 2 dimensional at best. Human authors will never duplicate the complexities of real life. A digital golf game will never teach a child the same concepts such as wind vectors, slope, frictional factors (roughness of green, “slippery-ness”) that a real golf game teaches subconsciously.
We teachers use these subconscious facts and knowledge as hooks upon which we build the framework of new knowledge. It has become increasingly difficult to do so. Continue reading
Is Public Education Essential to our Leaders Anymore? By Shawn Beightol This was published in the Progresso Weekly in February 2003: http://www.progresoweekly.com/2003/02Feb/03week/Beightol.htm Last Friday, in my chemistry class, a young man took out his saxophone during his presentation on electron … Continue reading